Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Keystone Central School District!
KCSD volunteers serve in a wide variety of roles - some come into contact with our students while others do not. Pennsylvania Act 15 requires that adults (those 18 years of age or older) having direct volunteer contact with children will need background check clearances. This is a state mandate and must be followed by all school districts in PA.
Examples of these types of volunteer activities include, but are not limited to:
- volunteer tutors
- classroom center volunteers
- chaperones for field trips
- volunteer coaches
- homeroom parents
- individuals who assist with school activities and holiday parties
- Volunteers such as guest speakers who remain under the direct supervision of a classroom teacher or administrator are not required to obtain background clearances and will be considered "Visitors".
Steps to becoming a KCSD Volunteer
- If the individual is considered a "Visitor", this individual will need to seek prior approval from the supervising district employee and report to the main office the day of the visitation. Prior to the visitors arrival it is the responsibility of the supervising district employee to notify the building principal and secretary that the visitor will be arriving on that day.
- If the volunteer activities require the volunteer to obtain background clearances and mandated reporter training, please use the links below to access clearance web sites.
New volunteer who is required to have clearances
If the supervisor you are working with has determined that you need clearances then you will need the items listed below. This applies to the majority of volunteers.
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance (dated within 1 year) (Cost: FREE for volunteers - may only be renewed for FREE every 57 months)
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check (dated within 1 year) (Cost: FREE for volunteers - may only be renewed for FREE every 57 months)
- FBI Criminal Background Check (choose Department of Education option) (dated within 1 year)
- Mandated Reporter Training (3 hours of training required every 5 years) (free)
- https://epatch.state.pa.us - Online application
- Select "New Record Check" and complete
- Follow instructions through to the Certification Page
- Once the search results Table appears, click on the control number (retain control number for your records)
- Click on Certification Page and print
PA Child Abuse History Clearance (formerly Act 151)
- http://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS/public/home - Online application
- Create an account or log in if you already have an account
- Complete clearance request application
- Once application is complete you will have immediate results and can print certificate, if not it will give you your status and they will send an email when completed
Federal Criminal History Record (formerly Act 114) Service Code for School Districts: 1KG6XN
Mandated Reporting Web Site:
- Print and submit the certificate that you receive at the end of the training
Please submit all five documents at the same time to Joellen Chappelle online at https://www.applitrack.com/kcsd/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Volunteers
Again, thank you for your interest in volunteering in our district. The rewards will be felt for many years to come.